Having a safety plan

Safety Planning Guidelines Personal Safety

  1. Seek medical attention and contact Police – 999
  2. Identify an escape plan – (dependent on if you want to leave)
  3. Identify your network of support (eg family, friends)
  4. Keep a mobile hidden for emergency use if possible
    – Keep your mobile phone charged, switched on and topped up (and on silent if it is your “secret phone”). NB: you do not need credit to make 999 calls.
    – Keep your mobile, keys/purse in an accessible place
    – Take mobile, keys/purse to bed with you
  5. Keep windows and doors locked, even when you are in the house
  6. Place ID paperwork & essential documents in safe place or with trusted family/friend or solicitor
  7. Be aware that objects in your home could be used by the perpetrator as weapons
  8. Target Hardening/Sanction Scheme:
    – WLDAS to consider additional Safety and Security on property:
    – Police marker
    – Personal alarms (where applicable)
    – Installation of Police Panic Alarm (where applicable)
    – WLDAS to source and secure refuge place

Safety in Public

  1. Carry a personal alarm
  2. Plan a safe route home – walk with friends, share a taxi.
  3. Vary routes and routines to make yourself difficult to follow.
  4. Keep in well lit, highly populated areas and main streets as much as possible
  5. If driving, lock your car doors
  6. Park in well lit, populated areas
  7. Tell someone where you are going and when you are expected back
  8. Be vigilant
  9. Keep your mobile phone in an easy to reach place – not buried in the bottom of your bag
  10. Ensure relevant agencies are aware of the situation including information in regards to parental responsibility / residency orders.

Safety with Injunctions

  1. Seek legal advice
  2. Keep a copy of your injunction readily available. Consider having several copies so that you can have one at home, one in your handbag, give copies to WLDAS keyworker or a member of staff, or to friends/family.
  3. Inform all significant parties of the terms of your order, eg employer, children’s school etc. (the police will already have a copy provided by the Court).
  4. Be prepared to enforce your order. In an emergency dial 999 to report a breach, otherwise use the police non-emergency number.
  5. Keep a diary to note the time, date and details of the breach. Include police log numbers.
  6. Inform your West Lincolnshire Domestic Abuse Service key worker and your Solicitor of any breaches as soon as possible.